Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Week 4 Stickam Site



My experience with Stickam so far has made me feel like I have really been out of the loop. The first time I logged on and went live, I was propositioned immediately! (I won’t repeat it!) But what amazed me were all of the young people and I mean young teens that were using this as a social network. Every parent needs to check this out, as a parent myself I know that I have heard about social networking, but checking this out first hand was a whole different story. The only way to truly be informed is to become proactive, my fifth grade students just laugh when they see an adult fumble over a computer because they themselves are so adept at it. We need to channel their knowledge of these technologies to integrate them in engaging ways into the curricula.

Image credit:
Creative Commons by Tariq

3 comments:

  1. That's one reason why I chose to host my own chat in my website to cut down on students wandering into not so nice virtual neighborhoods. Just like the real world, just because there are bad neighborhoods doesn't mean that you abandon the whole city. Ack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright, this is the third time I am doing this post, my internet keeps crashing, AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!

    I complete understand your perspective, I think any one who has children, grand children, nieces, nephews, or friends with children, would. We can't teach our children by hiding them away, only by making them aware. We have to teach them about making good decisions and hope they are listening, and then we need to trust their judgement and hope we taught them well. A little praying never hurts either. It's times like this that reminds me of a quote from Albert Einstein, "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome quote Todd! Thanks for the support all month...all year!!

    ReplyDelete